Following the closure of Vaux Brewery Sunderland and Wards Brewery, Sheffield on 2nd July 1999, the Double Maxim Beer Company Ltd was established the following year by ex Vaux and Wards employees.
Our main brand Maxim Ale was first brewed in 1901 to celebrate the return of the Maxim gun detachment from the Boer War. Major Ernest Vaux (part of the original brewing family) commanded the detachment, which was part of the Northumberland Hussars. Initially the beer was reduced in strength because landlords complained of their customers falling asleep. In 1938 Vaux Breweries increased the beers strength and Double Maxim was born.